Maat is the principle of truth, justice, harmony and cosmic balance. Maat teaches us to be pure, truthful, righteous and orderly within ourself.
Maats ideological opposite is Isfet or Asfet, meaning injustice, chaos, violence or to do evil. Isfet and Maat build a complementary dualism: one could not exist without its counterpart. Isfet and Maat balanced each other. Maat was to overcome Isfet, “that which is difficult”, “evil”, “disharmonious”, and “troublesome”. Isfet is to be overcome by good and to replace disunity with unity and disorder with order.
Maat represents the ethical, moral and spiritual principle that all
Ma-urish scholars are expected to follow throughout their daily lives. They are expected to act with honor and truth in matters that involve family, the community, the nation, the environment, and the spiritual world.
The First Law
The Law of One proclaims that: All is one, One is all. Everything serves the infinite creator. Consider, if you will, that the universe is infinite. This has yet to be proven or disproven, but we can assure you that there is no end to your selves, your understanding, what you would call your journey of seeking, or your perceptions of the creation.
That which is infinite cannot be many, for many-ness is a finite concept. To have infinity you must identify or define that infinity as unity; otherwise, the term does not have any referent or meaning. In an Infinite Creator there is only unity. You have seen simple examples of unity. You have seen the prism which shows all colors stemming from the sunlight. This is a simplistic example of unity.
In truth there is no right or wrong. There is no polarity for all will be, as you would say, reconciled at some point in your dance through the mind/body/spirit complex which you amuse yourself by distorting in various ways at this time. This distortion is not in any case necessary. It is chosen by each of you as an alternative to understanding the complete unity of thought which binds all things. You are not speaking of similar or somewhat like entities or things. You are every thing, every being, every emotion, every event, every situation. You are unity. You are infinity. You are love/light, light/love. You are. This is the Law of One.
Primal Distortions of The First Law
1. The Distortion of Love
2. The Distortion of Free will
3. The Distortion of Light
The Law of One has as one of its primal distortions the free will distortion, thus each entity is free to accept, reject, or ignore the mind/body/spirit complexes about it and ignore the creation itself. There are many among our social memory complex distortion who, at this time/space, engage daily, as you would put it, in the working upon the Law of One in one of its primal distortions; that is, the ways of love. However, if this same entity, being biased from the depths of its mind/body/spirit complex towards love/light, were then to accept responsibility for each moment of the time/space accumulation of present moments available to it, such an entity can empower its progress in much the same way as we describe the empowering of the call of your social complex distortion to the Order of MERA.
7 Hermatic Principles (3rd density distortions of the first law)
1. Mentalism – The All is mind; The Universe is Mental.
2. Correspondence – As above, so below; as below, so above. As within, so without; as without, so within.
3. Vibration – Nothing rests; Everything moves; Everything vibrates.
4. Polarity – Everything is dual; Everything has poles; Everything has its pair of opposites; Like and unlike are the same; Opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; Extremes meet; All truths, are but half-truths; All paradoxes may be reconciled.
5. Rhythm – Everything flows, out and in; Everything has its tides; All things rise and fall; The pendulum swing manifests in everything;
The measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; Rhythm compensates.
6. Cause & Effect – Every cause has its effect; Every effect has its cause; Everything happens according to law’ Chance is but a name for law not recognized’ There are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the law.
7. Gender – Gender is in everything; Everything has its masculine and feminine principles; Gender manifests on all planes.
7 Ma'atic Principles (distortion of the first law)
3. Harmony, or Righteousness
National Principles (distortion of the first law)
42 Negative Confessions (distortion of the first law)
- Hail, Usekh-nemmt, who comest forth from Anu, I have not committed sin.
- Hail, Hept-khet, who comest forth from Kher-aha, I have not committed robbery with violence.
- Hail, Fenti, who comest forth from Khemenu, I have not stolen.
- Hail, Am-khaibit, who comest forth from Qernet, I have not slain men and women.
- Hail, Neha-her, who comest forth from Rasta, I have not stolen grain.
- Hail, Ruruti, who comest forth from Heaven, I have not purloined offerings.
- Hail, Arfi-em-khet, who comest forth from Suat, I have not stolen the property of God.
- Hail, Neba, who comest and goest, I have not uttered lies.
- Hail, Set-qesu, who comest forth from Hensu, I have not carried away food.
- Hail, Utu-nesert, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have not uttered curses.
- Hail, Qerrti, who comest forth from Amentet, I have not committed adultery.
- Hail, Hraf-haf, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have made none to weep.
- Hail, Basti, who comest forth from Bast, I have not eaten the heart.
- Hail, Ta-retiu, who comest forth from the night, I have not attacked any man.
- Hail, Unem-snef, who comest forth from the execution chamber, I am not a man of deceit.
- Hail, Unem-besek, who comest forth from Mabit, I have not stolen cultivated land.
- Hail, Neb-Maat, who comest forth from Maati, I have not been an eavesdropper.
- Hail, Tenemiu, who comest forth from Bast, I have not slandered anyone.
- Hail, Sertiu, who comest forth from Anu, I have not been angry without just cause.
- Hail, Tutu, who comest forth from Ati, I have not debauched the wife of any man.
- Hail, Uamenti, who comest forth from the Khebt chamber, I have not debauched the wives of other men.
- Hail, Maa-antuf, who comest forth from Per-Menu, I have not polluted myself.
- Hail, Her-uru, who comest forth from Nehatu, I have terrorized none.
- Hail, Khemiu, who comest forth from Kaui, I have not transgressed the law.
- Hail, Shet-kheru, who comest forth from Urit, I have not been angry.
- Hail, Nekhenu, who comest forth from Heqat, I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
- Hail, Kenemti, who comest forth from Kenmet, I have not blasphemed.
- Hail, An-hetep-f, who comest forth from Sau, I am not a man of violence.
- Hail, Sera-kheru, who comest forth from Unaset, I have not been a stirrer up of strife.
- Hail, Neb-heru, who comest forth from Netchfet, I have not acted with undue haste.
- Hail, Sekhriu, who comest forth from Uten, I have not pried into other’s matters.
- Hail, Neb-abui, who comest forth from Sauti, I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
- Hail, Nefer-Tem, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
- Hail, Tem-Sepu, who comest forth from Tetu, I have not worked witchcraft against the king.
- Hail, Ari-em-ab-f, who comest forth from Tebu, I have never stopped the flow of water of a neighbor.
- Hail, Ahi, who comest forth from Nu, I have never raised my voice.
- Hail, Uatch-rekhit, who comest forth from Sau, I have not cursed God.
- Hail, Neheb-ka, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not acted with arrogance.
- Hail, Neheb-nefert, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
- Hail, Tcheser-tep, who comest forth from the shrine, I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the spirits of the dead.
- Hail, An-af, who comest forth from Maati, I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
- Hail, Hetch-abhu, who comest forth from Ta-she, I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.